Esta información se actualizó por última vez el 31 de octubre de 2020 y puede estar desactualizada Haz clic aquí para obtener la información sindical más reciente sobre el coronavirus.


The Government has introduced a new system of «Local Covid Alert Levels» in England, more commonly known as the three-tier system. 

Local lockdowns are determined by a three-tier «traffic light» system where different parts of the country are placed in different categories dependent on rates of infection.

London is currently in ‘Tier 2’ or ‘high Covid alert level’.

No matter the level of alert where you live, social distancing remains important. If you believe you should be able to work from home but your employer has not allowed you to, or you are working in unsafe conditions, please consult our Work Refusal guidelines or fill out our Problems at Work’ contact form.


The medium level covers most of the country and consists of the current national measures. This means those in a Tier 1 area must abide by the «Rule of Six» and the closure of hospitality venues at 10pm. The ‘Rule of Six’ is the government limit on social gatherings of more than 6 people. Exemptions include education or work, or if your household has more than 6 people.

In Tier 1:

– Schools, colleges and universities remain open
– Places of worships (churches, mosques and synagogues, for instance) remain open but subject to the Rule of 6
– You must not socialise in groups larger than 6, indoors or outdoors (other than where a legal exemption applies)
– Businesses and venues can continue to operate, in a COVID-secure manner, other than those that remain closed in law
– There is a nightly curfew of 10pm for hospitality businesses (including restaurants, bars and pubs)
– Weddings and funerals can go ahead with restrictions on numbers of attendees

You must:

wear a face covering in areas where it is mandated

In this Tier, which London is in right now, people will be prevented from mixing with other households indoors. The Rule of Six will continue to apply outdoors and in private gardens.

In addition to the requirements in ‘Tier 1’, in ‘Tier 2’:

– You must not socialise with anybody outside of your household or support bubble in any indoor setting, whether at home or in a public place
– Exercise classes and organised sport can continue to take place outdoors, and will only be permitted indoors if it is possible for people to avoid mixing with people they do not live with or share a support bubble with; there are exceptions for supervised activities for under-18s, and disability sport

This level will apply in areas where transmission rates are very high. There are a set of measures the government has set – such as prohibiting social mixing indoors – and people should try not to travel in or out of Tier 3 areas.

At a minimum, Tier 3 means:

– You must not socialise with anybody you do not live with or have formed a support bubble with, anywhere inside or or in any private garden or at most outdoor hospitality venues and ticketed events
– You must not socialise in a group of more than 6 in an outdoor public space such as a park or beach, the countryside, a public garden or a sports venue
– Pubs and bars must close; they can only remain open where they operate as if they were a restaurant
– Schools, colleges and universities remain open
– Places of worship remain open, but household mixing is not permitted
weddings and funerals can go ahead with restrictions on the number of attendees; however, wedding receptions are not allowed
– You should try to avoid travelling in or out of a very high alert level area, other than for things like work, education or youth services, to meet caring responsibilities or if you are travelling through as part of a longer journey

This is the baseline in ‘Tier 3’ areas. Local authorities may agree on additional rules. Additional rules could make Tier 3 similar to the country’s initial lockdown, where gyms, entertainment venues, public buildings and other public spaces are closed.

If you are not sure what the rules are in your local area, you should check whether additional restrictions apply.


If you have Covid-19 or symptoms of Covid-19 such as a high temperature, loss of taste and smell, and a new and persistent cough, the government says you must self-isolate for a period of 10 days.

If you believe you have the virus but cannot take time off work due to receiving Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) please contact a UVW caseworker by filling in our “Problems at Work” form which is available in both English and Spanish. The form can be accessed here.

Look up your local mutual aid group here, they can help with providing essentials and finding someone for you to talk to. You are not alone, your community is there to help!

Similarly, you should check out your local mutual aid group and volunteer for whatever tasks you feel comfortable taking on. You can also sign up as a volunteer for the NHS here.

Tengo otra pregunta


Mantente al día con nuestras últimas noticias, campañas, entrenamientos y eventos.