UVW is running a 2 part trade union rep training course taking place from 6pm-8pm on Wed 9th Sept for part 1 & Wed 16th Sept for part 2.
You can sign up here: https://forms.gle/oeHzoGUVCNeCtTH67
Being a good trade union rep is about so much more than just knowing the law. In fact, it often has very little to do with the law. That’s why these sessions will focus on the strategies behind representing workers based on years of experience, and whilst nothing but your own experience can fully arm you with all the ammunition you need in order to be able to offer workers the best possible support at work, these sessions will hopefully help you get started.
Some of the questions we will be covering over the 2 sessions of the rep training include:
1) Why do workers need a rep?
2) When can workers be represented?
3) What if there is no rep available?
4) Who can represent workers?
5) What can and can’t reps do and say?
6) What should and shouldn’t reps do and say?
7) Should you choose an informal or a formal approach?
8) Should you pursue an individual or a collective approach?
9) How can you manage expectations?
10) What can you do if:
– The worker is guilty?
– There is no evidence either way?
– The worker lies to you?
– The employer is being malicious?
– Two members summit grievances against each other?
– No laws have been broken?
11) When should you start legal proceedings?
12) What are some good tips and tricks when representing workers in grievance and disciplinary hearings?
13) Can cases lead to campaigns?
There will be plenty of opportunities for Q&As.
5pm – 6pm
We run a weekly group online English class for our members who want to improve their English listening, reading, and speaking skills in a fun and relaxed way.
Monthly open meeting for current and prospective members of UVW Designer + Cultural Workers branch. We will split into sector-specific Chapels for focused discussion, and agree actions as a whole group. This month's focus: DCW in 2021!
In this workshop you will find out what you can do both individually and collectively if you believe that due to COVID-19 it is unsafe for you to continue to go to work or carry out your normal duties.
Join us for an online party Saturday 19th December. This year has been hard on all of us, let’s celebrate the end of 2020 with UVW’s big wins, a quiz and some music and dancing.
530pm – 7pm
UVW is launching weekly 'Know Your Rights Workshops: Knowledge, Solidarity, Power' for UVW members beginning from Thursday 3rd December.